Would you look at that – we all made it out of 2020 and into 2021. Seriously, we should take a moment to be thankful we made it here.
As we all know, 2020 was a year like no other in our lifetimes. The pandemic has killed more than 330,000 Americans – including people I know and you probably know – and has infected many others. Some of them are still having health problems and might have permanent issues due to the COVID-19 virus.
Thankfully, science has come through and vaccines are now starting to slowly make their way out to the public. It will be months before we are all vaccinated, but at least we can see things starting to turn.
So I enter 2021 with hope, and that is a good feeling. I would love to see my dad this year – something that has been impossible in 2020 due to the virus. I would love to go out and see friends, enjoy some live music, maybe go to a movie.
You know, all the things we did for years. But those were “normal” years. And 2020 was anything but normal.
I also enter 2021 ready to make my annual predictions. To be honest, my batting average here is not good. Just to refresh your memories, I predicted – among other things – that in 2020 the Chicago Bears would win the NFC North, Donald Trump would quit as president to join the senior PGA tour and a child with a smartphone for ahead would be born.
Obviously, I am no Nostradamus. But that won’t stop me from digging deep and coming up with some predictions for 2021.
* The COVID-19 vaccine will give 3 percent of those who get it superpowers. That will lead to a mad rush of previously anti-vaccine people to get the shot. Unfortunately, the superpowers thing will turn out to be an Internet hoax. On a positive note, the country will achieve a nearly 100 percent vaccination rate.
* New President Joe Biden and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will get into a fist fight in a meeting at the White House. No punches will actually land, as both men will tumble to the ground while trying to reach each other, but both will claim victory. Cable news networks will call it “Punch out 2021” on a scroll at the bottom of the screen.
* Even when it is safe to pack away the masks, people will continue to wear them. Masks become a new fashion trend and are very popular with Americans. Ultimately, most people think others look better with a mask covering a large part of their face.
* Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker, sensing an opportunity, will officially change his name to JB Pritzker-Sucks. He will eventually win re-election and become the state’s most popular governor.
* The Chicago Bears will win the NFC North. Hey, I have to be right eventually.
* By the end of the year, America and Americans will be more united. There will be less rancor and more agreement. A sense of common goals and a mission to help one another will return. Hey, a guy can dream, right?
I hope everyone has a great 2021!