Well, Halloween is over and I am not happy about it.
I love Halloween and all the horror movies and ghosts and ghouls that come with it. So, this is always a sad time of year for me.
On the other hand, this week is finally election week. That means an end to the seemingly endless election notices in the mail, pop-up advertisements online and videos that seem to run every time you click on a story.
It has been impossible to avoid the bothersome ads of billionaire gubernatorial candidate JB Pritzker. He has spent a fortune to be elected governor, and to annoy all of us with his ads. Seriously, I have never seen so many from a single candidate.
Speaking of elections, make sure that whatever you do this week, get out and vote. The mood in this country is as dark and divisive as I have ever seen. Voting might give us all a chance to feel better for at least a few minutes.
Hey, in this current climate I’ll take what I can get.
In the meantime, here are a few things that aren’t worth a full column, but are on my mind.
* Is it just me, or did it seem to get cool pretty quickly this year? It felt like it was 85 one day and 52 the next. I don’t mind fall so much, but a gradual cool down at least gives me a chance to get used to it.
* For those of you who take River Road fairly often, please try to keep your speed at least close to the posted speed limit. Too often, I get behind people going so slow that it is frustrating and dangerous. If you are going 40 mph in a 55 mph zone, traffic has a tendency to pile up behind you. Please, keep that speed up – while still being safe!
* In the past two weeks, I have seen three people toss garbage out of their car window. Three. I don’t understand people who care so little about the environment that they have no trouble dumping trash wherever they see fit. It is illegal, and simply disgusting.
* Speaking of disgusting, here is something for men and boys under the age of about 25: Stop spitting. Seriously, it is a gross habit. You don’t see mature men doing that (or women at all, really) so just stop it now.
* I pretty much missed the World Series this year. I used to be an avid baseball fan – including being in a fantasy baseball league – but have not watched a single game in probably 20 years. Strange how that happens.
* My sweet pitbull Dyna turned 5 on Halloween. We got her two years ago from the shelter in Rockford, and she is pretty much the perfect dog and I can’t imagine our life without her. It is amazing how much happiness and joy a dog can bring into your life. If you don’t have one, go out and rescue a dog. You won’t regret it.
* Finally, can we please take a look at the words we use? Can we stop making people who don’t agree with us the enemy? Can we stop acting like government is something where some win and some lose? Can we please remember that we are all in this together, no matter what our personal beliefs or politics are? Can we please be better to each other?